Thursday, October 17, 2013

Mummy Madness

 I do so love Halloween! This time, I tried to paint a scary mummy, and it turned out better than expected! Unfortunately, it also proved to be hard to photograph. I'm glad I took pre-topcoat photos, because the post-topcoat photos were too shiny to see the details!
 On my right hand, I didn't go as detailed with the anatomy and instead just did bandages over embalmed skin. Heh! I left it very loose with brush strokes, to add to the weathered feel.
 I started on both hands with two coats of OPI A-Taupe the Space Needle. I loosely roughed in the idea for the mummy's face and hands using a marker. Then, I started filling in the shadows with Sally Hansen Grey Area, which is a cool grey-brown. I also outlined the borders of the bandages on both hands. Wherever I wanted to have 'flesh' visible, I loosely dappled on more Grey Area for a textured look. I darkened bandage creases and parts of the mummy's face and hands with diluted NYC Black Lace Creme.
 I then started working in some highlights with Spoiled Only in Creams, which is a nice cool light brown. I lightened the hands a bit, as well as the right side of the mummy's face. I diluted the polish a bit to only subtly lighten some areas, but used straight polish to highlight around his nose, jaw, and eye.

 I then used multiple layers of Sally Hansen Beige Blast to color the bandages. The fact that the polish was sheer allowed me to create a more aged look. Next, to add a little more color to the mummy's flesh, I put in touches of Wet n Wild Private Viewing, which is a warmer brown creme.
 The last touch was adding a small amount of China Glaze Sun Worshipper for his eyes. Yay for creepy!
My favorite thing is that I can totally make the mummy dance by moving my index and ring fingers, haha!
Colors Used:
OPI A-Taupe the Space Needle
 Sally Hansen Grey Area
 NYC Black Lace Creme
 Spoiled Only in Creams
Sally Hansen Beige Blast
 Wet n Wild Private Viewing
 China Glaze Sun Worshipper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...