Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Vibrant Sunset

 I love painting clouds and gradients, so of course sunsets are a ton of fun. My friend Muse suggested the theme, so of course I had to tackle it!
 I knew I wanted to do a blue-to-orange gradient, but I wanted it to have a softer tone. So rather than sponging over a bright white base, I used the slightly more subdued cream OPI Don't Bossa Nova Me Around (also, it was still on my desk from yesterday). Next, I used a cosmetic sponge and built up a gradient using Color Club Hydrangea Kiss (soft blue), Rimmel Reggae Splash (Peach), and China Glaze Life Preserver (Orange). I added the sun on my middle nail using a halo of OPI I Just Can't Cope-acabana, which is a great yellow, and a little China Glaze White on White. I decided to orient my thumb sideways so that I could line it up to show the full landscape!
 To make the clouds, I first started with a medium-sized pointed brush and small amounts of Icing Purple Haze, a medium purple. I then darkened the upper edge of each cloud with Sinful Colors Mesmerize, a darker, cooler purple. I used a little Rimmel Reggae Splash on the underside of the clouds to lighten them. After that, I used a toothpick and some more of the white and yellow polish to outline and highlight the edges of the clouds, leading more to the 'backlit' look.

As a final touch, I used China Glaze Liquid Leather to add a black horizon across each nail. I also added a little tree and a windmill, because windmills at sunset make beautiful photographs!


Colors Used:
OPI Don't Bossa Nova Me Around (base underneath gradient)
Color Club Hydrangea Kiss
Rimmel Reggae Splash
China Glaze Life Preserver
OPI I Just Can't Cope-acabana
China Glaze White on White
Icing Purple Haze
Sinful Colors Mesmerize
China Glaze Liquid Leather

(Trying out doing group bottle shots, let me know what you think!)

2 comments:

  1. I think these are my favorite ever. Pretty funny how you only used like six colors instead of your usual six...million. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! And yes, I managed to restrain myself. Woohoo!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...