Friday, March 21, 2014

Swan Princess

 I was challenged to do nails based on the animated movie "The Swan Princess."  It's been a while since I watched it, but I thought it was a cute and fun little movie with enjoyable songs. I had the song 'Far Longer than Forever' stuck in my head the entire time I was painting!
 I'm trying to branch out and use polish I haven't yet tried, so I started with a base of Icing Gelogic Rolling in the Deep. This is one of the first 'gel-like' polishes I tried, and it was interesting! I wish I had taken photos right after application, as it was definitely super shiny. Anywho. I started this one by first building up the background. I used a makeup sponge to dab on a gradient across the middle of each nail using Borghese Marino (dusty mid-blue) and NYC Cool Breeze (sky blue) . I then shaded in some trees with Sinful Colors Calypso (dark teal).  Those same colors were used to make the castle on my thumb.
 Next, I roughed out the shape of Odette in both woman and swan forms using NYC Pinstripe White. I continued to build up details as I went along. Her hair and the glow on the water was done with Sally Hansen Mellow Yellow, the details on her dress were Sally Hansen Ressurection, and the swan's beak was Essie Spinning Again. I did the swooshy magic effect by first starting in white, then adding Color Club Sweet Pea and Rimmel Purple Rain. A touch of Sinful Colors 24 Karat gave it a bit more golden sparkle.

Since the details were starting to blur together, I added a thin outline to the characters using an art pen.  At the very end, I mattified with OPI Matte Top Coat.
 Bonus: I remembered to to take in-progress photos!
Colors Used:
Icing Gelogic Rolling in the Deep
 Borghese Marino
 NYC Cool Breeze
 Sinful Colors Calypso
 NYC Pinstripe White
 Sally Hansen Mellow Yellow
 Sally Hansen Ressurection
Essie Spinning Again
Color Club Sweet Pea
 Rimmel Purple Rain
Sinful Colors 24 Karat
 OPI Matte Top Coat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...