Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Dragonflight

 I was going through my bookcase and happened across one of my favorite books: Dragonflight, from the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffery. I love these older covers, they make me so nostalgic for those times I would read through the entire sci fi/fantasy section of the library. So of course they need to appear on my nails!
 The background gradient began with solid colors on each nail. I started with Color Club Almost Famous on my thumb, China Glaze I'm With the Lifeguard on my index, I'm With the Lifeguard layered over Salon Perfect Robin's Egg  on my middle, and solid Robin's Egg on my ring and pinkie. I then used a sponge to add a gradient shift on my index and ring nails.

I then outlined the dragon and mountains with a super thin brush and black acrylic paint. I prefer acrylic for thin lines, and it's a bonus that it dries quickly and can be scratched/scrubbed off if there's a mistake!
 Next, I filled in the dragon with Sephora by OPI Caught With My Khakis Down. I then built up some highlights with OPI Don't Talk Bach to Me, followed by Color Club Almost Famous. I used acetone-thinned Seche Astute to add some shadows. I also used Astute for the dragon rider, mixed with a smidge of yellow for some flesh-tone for her face. As a last touch, I added some green-gold shimmer by covering the dragon in a thin layer of Revlon 1000 Volts.

The mountains on my thumb were done with OPI Don't Talk Bach to Me, Sephora by OPI Caught With My Khakis Down mixed with Seche Astute, and Seche Astute alone.

The moon in the background was done with Salon Perfect Bellini, ORLY White Tips, and Seche Astute.




Colors Used:
Color Club Almost Famous
China Glaze I'm With the Lifeguard
Salon Perfect Robin's Egg
Sephora by OPI Caught With My Khakis Down
OPI Don't Talk Bach to Me
Seche Astute
Revlon 1000 Volts
Salon Perfect Bellini
ORLY White Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...