Friday, May 30, 2014

Foil Fun!

 I happened upon a lovely foil kit in TJ Maxx the other day, and of course I had to get it! I was excited to get another bottle of foil glue, as mine is getting rather gloopy and I just hadn't gotten around to ordering more on Amazon. However, this kit had a hidden gem! In addition to lovely foils, and quite a large quantity of each color, this kit came with a topcoat that WORKS for foils!
 On my left hand I used the included topcoat as a protectant before adding a layer of Seche Vite. On my right hand I experimented with other products to see if I had anything that would not pull, wrinkle, or drag out the foil. On my pinkie I tried OPI Nail Strengthener, as I'd heard some people had success with non-topcoat products. No dice there, it really started to pull the color away.  On my ring nail I tried Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Clearly Quick to see if a thinner topcoat would sort of work. That was really disastrous, with tons of wrinkling! On the remaining nails, I sort of did okay with NYC Demon Glow, which is a UV Active topcoat. Still, those were nowhere near as smooth as the cheapo top coat nails on my left hand!

 These two photos really highlight the difference! The top photo, my left hand, has the cheap topcoat and significantly less wrinkling.

 Oh, and to accent the purty purty foil, I added some fun star glitter to my ring nails.



 Here's the bottle of generic-looking foil top coat. It has absolutely no smell, but is the consistency of regular nail polish. I checked the box, and it lists the ingredients as water, glycerin, cellulose gum, and a host of cosmetic preservatives. So now I'm totally tempted to experiment with mixing my own water-glycerin combos to see if I can recreate the results!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...