Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Day 21: Inspired by a Comic - Superman/Batman

 I'm a bit of a superhero aficionado, so I was excited for this theme! However, when I sat down to do it, I realized I'd already done Superman before. I was about to do something based on Green Lantern, when I got inspired by this image:
 I started with a base of CQ Honey for my left hand, and Ciaté Cream Soda on my right. I then used ColorMates Mudd to draw in buildings on my left hand. I used acetone to thin the polish so I could get a wider range of values. I used Sinful Colors Snow Me White to highlight buildings. On my right hand, darker values were done with Sinful Colors Ardoise. I used more CQ Honey to make the spotlight. As a final effect, I highlighted the edges of the spotlight and the globe of the Daily Planet with a small amount of OPI Oy-Another Polish Joke!
 The superheroes themselves probably took the longest. For both, I painted in the rough body shape in Sinful Colors Black on Black. I then built up colors from there.

For Superman I used Revlon Mysterious (Royal Blue shimmer), Wet n Wild Teal Slowly and See (light blue), Nicole by OPI Kourt is Red-y for a Pedi (bright red), Salon Perfect He's With Me (Dark red shimmer), Spoiled Designated Driver (yellow), and more Another Polish Joke to make the details in the 'S' pop. I used Nicole by OPI Kim Konfidential for a skin color.

My left hand actually did a decent job with Batman, or at least it's better than I had feared it would turn out. Again, starting with a black base, I layered up values starting with more Ardoise, then more Ciaté Cream Soda. His belt was done with more CQ Honey.

It's not one of my more visually striking manicures, but I am happy with how it turned out. I wanted to make the Daily Planet and the Bat Signal be sort-of mirror images of one another, and I think that comes across?

Colors Used:
CQ Honey
 Ciaté Cream Soda 
ColorMates Mudd
Sinful Colors Snow Me White
Sinful Colors Ardoise
OPI Oy-Another Polish Joke!
 Sinful Colors Black on Black
Revlon Mysterious
Wet n Wild Teal Slowly and See 
Nicole by OPI Kourt is Red-y for a Pedi
 Salon Perfect He's With Me 
Spoiled Designated Driver
Nicole by OPI Kim Konfidential 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...